Tuesday, October 19, 2021

The Magic Book

Written by: Willo Davis Roberts

First line: If I had known ahead of time what I'd be getting into, I'm not sure I would have gone with my dad to that used book sale.

Why you should read this book: Alex, like most of Roberts's protagonists, lives in a world where adults are largely ineffective at helping kids with basic stuff; in Alex's case, his biggest problem is a bully names Norm. When Alex is basically waylaid by a magic book that looks really old, has his name on the cover, and doesn't act the way books usually act, he and his friends start performing the spell they find inside, with interesting results. In the end, Alex manages to get the best of Norm, but it's uncertain whether the book was magic or if all he ever needed was a little confidence. 

Why you shouldn't read this book: Probably the weakest story by this author I've ever read; her talent lies more in uncomfortable realism than in fantasy.

No comments: