Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Warriors 3: Forest of Secrets

Written by: Erin Hunter

First line: Cold gripped the forest, fields, and moorland like an icy claw.

Why you should read this book: The only reason I read this interminable book is because my stepdaughter asked me to. It's basically a peripatetic soap opera featuring cats who are increasingly intent on raking their claws across their enemies' bellies and hiding their shameful pasts and complex machinations for the future, but despite all the fighting and all the secrets, it's slow and predictable, padded with repetitive language and telegraphing of revelation. I did feel slightly sad for the main character when his best friend moves to the other side of the river to be closer to his kids, so I guess that's an emotional response elicited by this story, although maybe I was just happy to see how close I was to the end of the book.

Why you shouldn't read this book: Let's go with "abysmal writing."


No comments: