Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Weaveworld

Written by: Clive Barker

First line: Nothing ever begins.

Why you should read this book: It was probably on my list of top ten favorite non-kiddy novels when I was teenager, but I haven't read it since the '90s and I was curious if it would still hold up to my memory. Honestly, I'm not sure why it was my favorite, unless it was the scenes in which there's a monster that rapes men, has their monster-babies, and then sends the monster-babies to kill their fathers, but it's definitely a really great read, full of magic and mayhem and love and intrigue, a psychotic salesman, a psychotic cop, two innocent young people striving for something more, and a true wonderland, filled with mysticism and spectacle and threatened by a really big monster. If you want to sink into a thick book that will take you to other worlds, this is a good choice.

Why you shouldn't read this book: You are dogged in your pursuit of a criminal you know is guilty even though there's no evidence.




No comments: