Saturday, July 19, 2014

Native American Classics

Edited by: Tom Pomplun

First line: Beside the open fire I sat within our tepee.

Why you should read these books: Normally, I'm not a fan of the illustrated classics series, but this one did a great job of bringing together a lot of overlooked work. These stories and poems originate in the late nineteenth century, with a few pieces from the very early twentieth century, and bring to life a particular sense of time and place, a world of a culture struggling to survive against a force hellbent on eradicating it. A little inspiring, a little heartbreaking, this volume brings history and mythology to life.

Why you shouldn't read this book: I'd read two of these pieces previously, and while they seem unchanged in this volume, I might want to read the originals to see if I'm missing anything.

No comments: